주메뉴 바로가기 왼쪽메뉴 바로가기 컨텐츠 바로가기

Spirited challenge!Great Gongju!The Challenge which is Force

Donghaksa

  • Donghaksa Temple
  • Donghaksa Temple
  • Donghaksa Temple

Donghaksa Temple

As going up Gyeryongsan mountain from the entrance in Yuseon, Daejeon following the woods and valleys about 1km, you reach neat and elegant old Donghaksa Temple. Heoeu built the pagoda preserving relics of his master Sangwon in 724, established the temple and called it Sangwonsa temple.

Donseon expanded this temple in 921. When Silla perished in 936, Daeseunggwan Yuchadal came to this temple and built Donghaksa temple to carry out the memorial service for the founder of Silla and the loyal subject Bak Je-Sang.

Then, this temple was called Donghaksa temple. Donghaksa has 'Donghak Buddhism University', the educational institute for Buddhist nuns. Particularly, there are Sameungak and Sukmojeon, halls, on the right side of Daeungjeon. Sameungak was built by the minister of the Goryeo kingdom Giljae in 1394(Third year of King Taejo's reign) and performed the memorial services for King Chungjeong and King Gongmin and the religious service for Jeong Mong-Ju. In 1399, the minister of Goryeo Kingdom Yu Bang-Taek performed the memorial services for Jeong Mong-Ju, Yi Saek and Gil Jae.

Cheongryang-saji five-story stone pagoda, Cheongryang-saji seven-story stone pagoda

Cheongryang-saji five-story stone pagoda, Cheongryang-saji seven-story stone pagoda

At the site of Cheongryang-sa, two stone pagodas, including a five-story stone pagoda and a seven-story stone pagoda are left, are also called brother and sister pagodas.

According to the legend, once upon a time a priest in the name of Sangwon saved a tiger in difficulty, and then the tiger brought a virgin to him in return. Nevertheless, Sangwon maintained the brother and sister relationship only to devote himself to the religious purification. Thus, the father of the virgin built these two pagodas commemorating his good conduct.

Donghak-sa three-storied stone pagoda(Cultural Material No.58)

Donghak-sa three-storied stone pagoda

As the stone pagoda located in Donghak-sa, it was moved from the temple 'Cheongryang-sa (the place where the brother and sister pagodas are located)' to this place. Being in the small scale, it is reported to have been built together with Donghak-sa in the 23rd year of King Seondeok of the Unified Shilla (723), but is deemed to be the work of Koryo era in view of its pattern of pagoda or the skill of polishing.

Sameun-gak

Donghak-sa three-storied stone pagoda

This is the building where the memorial tablets of Jeong Mong-ju (Poeun), Lee Saek (Mokeun) and Kil Jae (Yaeun) who kept their royalties toward Koryo Dynasty are shrined.
In the 1st year of King Jeongjong's reign of Chosun era(1399), Yu Bang-taek the subject of the Koryo Dynast conducted invocation ceremony, and next year Lee Jeonggan, the Mayor of Gongju built this building and conducted the religious services for these three persons only, and since then it was called Sameun-dan. During the period of King Sejo's reign,Yu Bank-taek, Lee Soong-in and Na Gye-jong were added to the three persons, but the name Sameun-gak remained.

Sukmo-jeon

Sukmo-jeon

This is the shrine where the memorial tablets of the royal subjects, who exerted efforts to prevent the death of King Danjong (1441~1457), are shrined.

Originally this place was the invocation sanctuary where the funeral services for Sayukshin (Six Subjects) were performed and the religious services were conducted. It was burnt down in the 4th year of King Yeongjo's reign (1728), but reconstructed in the 27th year of King Sunjo's reign (1827). Then in the 1st year of King Gohjong's reign(1864), the memorial tablet of King Danjong at the north of invocation sanctuary, the tablets of seven subjects of the later era of Koryo on the east wall, and the tablets of seven subjects including Sayukshin (Six subjects) on the west wall were shrined.

In the 41st year of King Gohjong's reign (1904), the name was changed into 'Sukmo-jeon', and additionally the Prince Jeongsoon, who was the wife of King Danjong, was shrined together.

quick menu
MCT
chungcheongnam-do
KLAFIR
TOP